Bill Oddie says lithium toxicity was 'almost fatal'

The 79-year-old birdwatcher and conservationist tweeted he had been suffering from The 79-year-old birdwatcher and conservationist tweeted he had been suffering from "lithium toxicity".

He wrote: "Just so you know, I have been very ill most of this summer. Lithium toxicity. Almost fatal!"

Oddie has

about having bipolar disorder, for which lithium is a common treatment.

It may also be used for depression, which Oddie has also had.

"I am still here but very confused about most things! But then aren't many of us,"

"IT fuddles my brain. Confusion. Will I return? I Really dunno. I do hope so. Please wish me luck. XX."

Lithium is a type of medicine known as a mood stabiliser. It is used to treat mood disorders including mania, depression and bipolar disorder.

The NHS warns that if you take too much lithium, you should call 999 or go straight to A&E, even if you do not feel any different.

This is because very high amounts of lithium can cause problems with your kidneys and other organs. It can cause symptoms such as:

Source:

The TV presenter had last tweeted on 22 June.

Read the full story at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54054925

1-2-0 (www01)